Shopware SEO - What beginners should know
You are planning to create a Shopware store or already have one? You are a beginner or already have some experience in SEO?
At this point we would like to give you an overview of successful measures for optimizing your Shopware store, so that more users find their way to your store in the future and you can increase sales.
As an agency for e-commerce, we at EXWE not only have a special focus on the technical optimization of Shopware stores, but also support you with other onpage and offpage measures, which we will explain in more detail in the course of this article.
- A short introduction to the topic of Shopware SEO optimization
- How to start Shopware SEO and which tools will help you with it
- Keywords and the search intent of your potential customers
- The basic rules of content creation
- Software to support your work
- What you should do to successfully do SEO for your Shopware store in the long run
A short introduction to Shopware SEO
What you should internalize first is the user behavior or better the user journey of your potential customers. Try to understand how your potential customers search for your products or services on the internet. Since the Internet is a so-called pull medium, search engines like Google have a significant influence on the behavior of users and how they find and use content like your store. This also means that potential customers can only come to your store via a few ways that are free of charge for you. Either they know your brand and enter the URL of the store directly, click on a link on another website or in social media, or enter a search term in a search engine.
This should make it clear to everyone what fundamental importance search engines have for traffic to websites or web stores and how important this topic is for an online store.
How to start Shopware SEO and which tools will help you with it
Now we would like to give you a short overview about what can help you to implement Shopware 6 SEO in your online store. With these tools you can start even if you are still a beginner in SEO.
Keywords and the search intent of your potential customers
As you probably know, keywords are the words that a user enters into the search line of a search engine. What many people don't know, however, is that the terms and the search intent that results from them can be used to deduce significant differences in where the user is in his or her "search journey".
You can see this difference, for example, in the keywords "online store" or "online store agency". Online store is a search term that seeks knowledge. So what is an online store and what can I do with it? Online store agency, on the other hand, means that the user is specifically looking for a service and, in the best case, wants to make an inquiry. The same can be applied to goods such as "shoe" or "buy shoe" and should therefore be considered when building a blog page, product page or category page in the store.
To do this, of course, you first need to find out the right keywords. Often a keyword analysis, which you can perform beforehand, helps. The Sistrix article explains very well how you can perform such a keyword analysis.
The basic rules of content creation
Since Google's algorithm is getting better and better at interpreting texts, the basic rules that used to apply in the past no longer necessarily apply today. Nevertheless, it makes sense to build web pages and texts in web store in a structured way, so that the user and also Google can grasp the content as quickly as possible.
This includes among other things:
- Optimizing the titles & descriptions for articles, categories & blog posts.
- Using the right keywords in the URLs
- Describing the images in the Shopware Media Manager
- Creating Rich Snippets
- and much more
Software to support your SEO work in the store
Search engine optimization for Shopware stores is not rocket science, but rather working through a lot of individual small steps. So this means that time will always be your biggest challenge. We therefore recommend the use of various software tools to perform certain work much faster.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Google Search Console
- Screaming Frog Spider
You can find a comparison and reviews of different SEO tools at OMR.
What you can do to successfully implement SEO for your Shopware store in the long term.
SEO optimization of your Shopware 6 store is a long-term project that you can't complete right away. So that you can carry out the project purposefully, you must consider a few aspects, which we have listed here briefly for you.
- Plan your work. SEO is like writing an article or a master thesis. Take enough time to structure the individual tasks. Put them on the timeline. Collaboration tools like Asana, Trello or a simple Excel list can help.
- Focus on the important things: Ask yourself what you or your team can do yourself or what should be done by an agency.
- Always put the user in the foreground of your work. Try to think like your customer or use user tests to analyze this if you are unsure.
- Make your work measurable and check the results regularly e.g. with the above mentioned tools.
- Understand search engine optimization as the chance to bring users to your workshop and present them exactly what they were looking for.
And if you need help, our colleagues at EXWE will be happy to assist you.
About the author:
Gunnar Terrahe works as an independent consultant/freelancer in online marketing and supports companies like ABUS in online marketing and project management.
We're doing the big Shopware 6 and Shopify comparison so you can find out which is better suited for your company's online store.
The Shopware insert the Italian states - Use our tips and tricks about Shopware and optimize your online store now!
What is so special about Shopware 6? Here you can learn everything about the technology, the differences to Shopware 5, and the development status.